This page is a DRAFT. Please do not distribute.
The Calumet Gun Club was founded by Chicago recreational hunters in 1885 and was one of several hunting and fishing clubs in the region at the time. Located just east of the present day US Steel Gary Works harbor, the club’s buildings were still standing when the United States Steel Corporation bought the site in 1905. The club’s facilities included a club house, fifteen cottages, a piano, bowling alleys, and their own railroad station. Some of the engineers involved in the construction of the Gary Works steel mills enjoyed the benefits of the cottages until housing was built for them in the brand new town of Gary.
Calumet Gun Club
Calumet Regional Archives
Summer vacationers slid down the water slide on this sled at Coffin’s Shady Beach Resort in the 1950s.
Cedar Lake Historical Association